Psalm 136 is 26 verses that end exactly the same way at the end of each: “for His steadfast love endures forever”. It’s a history lesson of God’s love and demonstrates without a doubt that His love is not for a short period of time, nor will it ever run out of come up short. God’s steadfast love will endure forever, and forever is a very long time. So what are we told to do or know about God’s steadfast love? Some of these verses are actions, some merely remembrances of God’s love and faithfulness across the generations. But the psalmist makes it clear we are to know that God is love and that love never ends.
What demonstrates God’s steadfast love? Check out this list. For each item, it ends with ‘for his steadfast love lives forever’.
- “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good
- Give thanks to the God of gods
- Give thanks to the Lord of lords
- to him who alone does great wonders
- to him who by understanding made the heavens
- to him who spread out the earth above the waters
- to him who made the great lights
- the sun to rule over the day
- the moon and stars to rule over the night
- to him who struck down the firstborn of Egypt
- brought Israel out from among them
- with a strong hand and an outstretched arm
- to him who divided the Red Sea in two,
- made Israel pass through the midst of it
- overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red Sea
- to him who led his people through the wilderness
- to him who struck down great kings
- killed mighty kings
- Sihon, king of the Amorites
- Og, king of Bashan
- gave their land as a heritage
- heritage to Israel his servant
- It is he who remembered us in our low estate
- Rescued us from our foes
- he who gives food to all flesh
- Give thanks to the God of heaven”
Each of these statements ends with “for his steadfast love endures forever”. God’s done much. He is worthy of our praise. These 26 statements make it pretty clear. He is God.
We need to give thanks to Him. His steadfast love runs from the very beginning and will be here when the sun sets for the very last time. He is God for all of eternity. He provides for us. He protects us. He loves us far more than we deserve. Our role in all this is to give Him thanks for His very goodness to us. He has rescued and led and given us an eternity. Do you love God? Do you realize His steadfast love endures forever?